Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's day 2012

Happy Mother's day to all the mothers out there. My husband thinks this is a silly hallmark holiday but I have to say, I appreciate mother's day. I know it is the one day that I can cater to myself a little more....although never totally because what fun would that be. Who doesn't like sacrificing to make their kids happy from time to time...no sarcasm, I mean it...and if you are a parent, you know it.

Last night I was EXHAUSTED from the lack of sleep the night before, Maddie insisted she was not tired at all so I let her snuggle with me and we fell fast asleep at about 8:30. At 9:30 I woke up, put her in her bed and fell right back to sleep. I would like to say I got a wonderful nights rest...however, Blake decided to wake up at 1:30 am and it took 3 drinks (all rejected), 4 songs and several grumbles before I found out he wanted his diaper changed and got him back to sleep at 3am. 3 more hours of sleep until Blake's early wake up call at 6:30am.

Normally when I get Blake out of bed between 6-6:3, I stumble in...shush him about a zillion times while I change his diaper to keep him from waking up everyone else. This morning I stumbled in but before I could shush him, he looked at me and said "shhhhhhhh" then laughed. I couldn't help but laugh with him and just like that my mother's day started off with a smile.

It continued from there...he asked for his blanket in the bed and when we went out into the living room he covered me with it, kissed me and snuggled in for tv. The best part though was when I said "i love you" he responded with "wuv you mommy" ...I think my heart melted to the floor.

The rest of Blake's morning was spent getting into everything, he created a disaster, destroyed everything he got into and was driving me bananas...however, he broke it up with smiles, laughter, hugs and kisses....so I can't complain too much.

After Maddie and Mark woke up, I went and snuggled back into bed while they did their secret business. I hear Mark getting out the cards and asking her what she wants to write. I also hear Maddie say "today is the day you show moms that you care about them". Her other gems of the day were "mother's day is about being together as a family" (which is why she is with me now at starbucks), "let's make mommy a surprise snack of broccoli and cereal" (gag), "Mommy, I love you even when it is not mother's day", "(singing) Chasing mother's day", followed by singing "catching mother's day", "mommy how is everyone here going to know that I am your daughter and you are my mommy"...and many more that I have unfortunately already forgotten. She really makes my world.

I admit it would be nice to get out on my own on a day I know it would not be declined...but then I would miss out on all these cute things my kids do on a minute by minute basis that makes me a mother. I like spending the time with them, I love hearing the silly things they come up with and look forward to spending the rest of my life as their mother. I just hope they always want to spend the day with me.

No comments: